Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New Home Treadle


Is this cool or what!

This is a New Home Treadle Sewing Machine
with attachments.
Given to me by Jean.
Thank you, Jean!!!
I love you.

Take off the wooden cover and

you find the sewing machine.
New Home
S. M. Co.
Orange, Mass.
183123.8

There is a middle drawer,
four side drawers,
the needle will move up and down, and
the treadle works.
But there is no belt.

yet...
A repair person is looking for a belt.

I'm going to call her Lovey
because that is the first name that came to mind.
And, besides she looks sweet.

In need of cleaning.
I'm looking into what I should use to clean
without harming her.

There are also attachments and
old packages of needles.

I slid the metal pieces back and found the bobbin.
It looks something like a large bullet.
I have no clue how to remove or wind the bobbin
yet... :)

I love all this stuff!

I spent most of the day doing google searches
looking for information about this machine.
But I couldn't find this exact model.

I would love to sew some blocks
using the treadle.

I have read references to these old machines as
boat anchors!
There were hundreds of thousands made.
I'm sure this machine has no monetary value
but it is priceless to me
because it belongs in the family
and Jean gave it to me.

Besides,
I want to play with it and sew something!
And have fun!

Smiles

2 comments:

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Mom just had to comment on your sewing machine. She has her Grandmother's. It is a Singer which she took it in one time and they said it was the oldest one they had seen in Sauk County. Oh that is in Wisconsin. Mom remembers Grandma patching their old jeans with it..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

LindaG said...

My grandmother had one like that. I wish I had it now. Congratulations to you. :)