Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Wood Ash In The Chicken Pen

   There are two old screen doors that are kept around the place in case I need to cannibalize a piece of screening or for use as covers for small enclosures I make for chicks or to isolate chickens.

   Instead of building a frame and attaching screening I thought why not just plunk the screen down on top of the container. It all worked out great... the ash went through the screen with a bit of smooshing around and I put all the wood coals, nails and debris in the blue bucket and dumped them nails and all in my little green garden.

   I thought this would be a rather boring photo so I sprinkled some corn on the leaves and called the chickens and Morgan to come decorate the picture. Morgan wants to be up and moving instead of on a down stay.

   I'm not sure what the original use was that the container was made for... water trough? I dug a shallow hole for the tub so it fits snugly and won't tip over when the chickens roost on the edge. Kristine doesn't think the chickens will hop in there and dust bathe. Maybe, yes, no? 

   The wooden frame I nailed together to hold more wood ash is located so the chickens have to step in it on the way to the nest boxes and the roosts. Of course, they may just hop over the ashes. Or maybe use it for more dust bathing? Next time Tom empties the wood stove I will add more ashes.
   
   Everything takes more time than I think it will. I still have to cut the partitions for the nest boxes. I found some roosts that I had stored away and decided to attach them to an old wooden ladder. I got the idea from a photo at, Garden With Chickens, here. I'll cut them shorter to fit the ladder. It would be neat if I got the partitions and the ladder fixed up tomorrow. I hope I get at least one project finished.

(February 16, 2009)
The quilt is haunting me...

[5 eggs today]
Morgan ate chicken feed and got a tummy ache last night.


~:>
Smiles

14 comments:

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I loved your picture from yesterday!! You are certainly staying busy, and it reminds me that "staying busy" comes with warmer weather--Right now with all of our snow, I guess it's okay that I'm lazy! :-)) But I'll be anxious to see your finished project!! Enjoy your Wednesday!!

diane b said...

You are ingenious and busy. Poor Morgan give her a hug from me.

Melodie said...

I love how you show all your good ideas of repurposing things!We try to reuse everything too!SOmetimes I get some pretty crazy looking stuff going,but hey,it works for me!

Chicken Boys said...

Everything always takes longer. It took much longer to complete our little coop for our blue splash silkies, but Mike and I got it done Sunday afternoon. Now it's sitting (finished) outside on a wagon with no chickens in it! LOL Well, you wouldn't know if the ash bath and foot cleaner would work or not if you didn't at least try! Good luck!
~Randy

JoyceAnn said...

Looks good , Callie. Hope the girls enjoy their new dusting tub. When I get some dry ashes , I think I'm going to spread some in the places they use to dust bathe.
Looking forward to seeing what you do with the nesting boxes.

~ Warm Blessings ~

tberry29 said...

Hello, newbie here. Whats the ash in the pen for? Just for dust bathing?..or something else..We have a fireplace and wanna know the purpose, so maybe I can use our ashes as well..thanks.

Have a Great Day,
Trish ; )

Toni aka irishlas said...

Everything takes longer than expected, I've found, especially since I've gotten a "little" older. ;-)
I'm watching how you make out with your ash pans. You'll have to keep us updated as to what your girls think about them.
Looks like your egg production is up! Enjoy your day!

John Going Gently said...

you have gone all macho on us today with your DIY!!!

DayPhoto said...

I am so jealous of your weather...I am so ready to be outside all day long.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Mom you are doing a wonderful job. You are so clever...
We wish it would snow again too...

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Little Messy Missy said...

Busy busy busy. I won't be able to work outside until around mothers day! I am sooooo jealous and my chicken coop needs a cleaning badly!

Becky's Barnyard said...

I understand that time thing. I don't know why it always takes longer. I liked the ladder roost.

dirtyduck said...

great idea, your chickys are so healthy and plump looking....in the chicken world is plump really a good thing though??

michelle and lil the ducky

Callie Brady said...

dirtyduck: The Brahmas are large 9+ lb and the Orpingtons are 8+lb class breed birds. The Australorp and Wyandottes are a bit smaller and classed as Standard and are around 6.5 + lbs.

You are correct that fat hens are not desired because they are prone to prolapse. Our hens free range and tend to run off their fat. The hens fluff up their feathers in the cold weather and look larger than they really are.