Thursday, January 01, 2009

Lemons and a Quilt

My makeshift double boiler.
Hey, it works!
First I put this together and heated the water, 
then I added the eggs, sugar and lemon juice
to the smaller pan and placed the pan in the
bigger one with the bottom
in the simmering water.

And then whisked away nonstop!
(for about 10 minutes)

The recipe said until it thickens to the
consistency of sour cream...
eh... it was more like soft pudding
when I quit.

Here are the ingredients:
3 eggs
1/3 cup lemon juice (fresh)
(I strained the lemon juice)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tb lemon zest
1/2 cube butter

I had to keep whisking so the eggs
wouldn't turn into
scrambled eggs.

After it thickened I poured it into the bowl,

(I skipped a step here and didn't strain it to
get out any eggy bits --- guess I was so
good at whisking there were no eggy bits)

I then added the lemon zest and butter and
mixed it in until the butter melted.
I had everything room temp
so no problem.

Here is the finished product and boy does
it taste yummy!
I love lemony stuff!
I covered it and put it in the fridge
and the next day
it was just like pudding only better.


We had the lemon curd for breakfast
 on our buttermilk pancakes...
well Dad had jam, but that's just him.

There are lots of lemon curd recipes on the net
with more specific instructions,
so go ahead and give it a try.
All you need is a good arm,
or some help.

As promised...
Here is the blue and yellow quilt.
Isn't Jean cute!
I took this on Christmas evening 2008
Love + Hugs
I have to give my mother-in law a call
and find out if it is OK with her
to put her and her quilt
on the blog.

No eggs!
This is the second day the chickens have let me down.
There is still snow outside
so maybe they are cold
or
they are laying their eggs outside in the oak leaves?

I want to make the persimmon pie
so I sure hope we get some eggs tomorrow
or I am going to have to figure out
something else to do
with the persimmons.

Yea! it is raining!

Smiles!

No comments: