Saturday, April 04, 2009

Amber Glass

[ 11 eggs] The girls laid 9 eggs in the morning, one later in the woodshed and one even later in the bottom nest box. I still think some of them lay their eggs out in the woods.

A dear friend gave me a set
of 6 of these amber glass
dessert plates.

She also gave me
the old chair
that I posted here.

You can click on the photo
and see a much better
view of the design pressed into the glass
on the back of the plate.

I think that these plates are depression glass but I have not been able to find the name of the pattern or to find another example of these plates. The plates are not listed on the internet sites I have visited. I wish I knew the history that belongs to these plates but that is not going to happen. The lady who gave them to me had lots of things that had been in her family for generations. So, I am inclined to believe that these plates are old. Her family had lived in the same place since 1850.

I'm old enough to remember opening boxes of soap and  looking for the plate or cup buried inside. And sometimes we would get dish ware at the movies as a promotion they would run to get people to the show. I'll keep looking for information about this glass and I'll post about it if I find anything.

I love the amber color!

smiles

No comments: