Thursday, December 10, 2009

Snowy Woods

I love the snowy woods, but it is raining and I expect to wake up tomorrow to find all the snow gone from the trees, the leaves on the ground uncovered and just a few patches of snow left under some trees in the shade. At least that is what usually happens.

It is supposed to rain until Monday, so I'll have to wait at least until then to start raking. The weather is tricky. Sometimes I'm expecting lots of rain and the storm misses us. I'm looking forward to being outside working in the cold sunshine. I love winter.

I got a face and head freeze the other night, so last night I slept on the couch in front of the wood stove. How neat is that! I think I would like to move out there permanently or get a wood stove next to my bed.

Tonight I made baked apples in the dutch oven on the wood stove. I put a metal steamer under the corning ware pan with the apples in it (with a cup of water) and put the whole thing in the dutch oven and left the lid on until I smelled apples. I served the baked apples with some of the cranberries I cooked. The steamer held the corning ware up off the bottom of the dutch oven. I wonder if I could bake cornbread that way? I'll have to try.

Kristine brought home a Basil Rathbone DVD of The Woman In Green. I think I saw it many years ago and enjoyed watching it again. She also brought me a book, The World Of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse. I remember reading those stories a long time ago (copyright 1967) and I'm looking forward to reading them again.

If we get a break in the rain, I would like to let the chickens out for a bit. I feel bad keeping them cooped up, but between the snow, cold, and the fox I don't feel like I have much choice.

Kathleen called to tell me they are all feeling better and hope to visit in February. This will work! I get to keep all the Christmas decorations up until they get here to enjoy them. Well, at least that's my excuse!

[1 very cold egg today]
Thank you little hen.
Smiles
~:>

6 comments:

diane b said...

The forest looks pretty. I wouldn't like a frozen face at night. Here we are kicking off all the sheets and cover and still warm.

Chicken Boys said...

Mmmmmm....those apples sound so delish! I wish I had a wood stove or fire place. I have to settle for air vents in the floor....but at least I'm warm!!

cottage garden farmer said...

Your snow looks lovely, we're struggling with what seems like endless rain here in Wiltshire in UK, a white Christmas seems unlikely for us.

Callie Brady said...

diane: It is hard to remember that it is hot Summer in Australia when it is so cold here.

Callie Brady said...

Chicken Boys: Air vents are good! I'm going to try Granny Smith apples next time.

Callie Brady said...

The Cottage Garden Farmer: I read about the terrible rains. Hope all is well with you.