Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Blue Sky!

Snow in the trees goes to show how cold it is staying even in the day. The sky was a gorgeous deep blue this morning. Usually, when the sun comes out the snow warms and and in a few hours it falls out of the trees. By the time I got outside the sky had lightened up a bit, but it was still a beautiful backdrop for the snowy trees.

I had to break up ice and dump and fill the water in the chicken coop, but the chickens are fine and welcomed the lettuce I brought. I haven't been out again to check on them because I don't want to open the door and let in the cold.

We are lucky so far and still have power. Lots of people around the area are doing without. There are volunteer groups going out to find and help people who are in trouble. I'm very thankful we are OK, but I do hope the trees stay upright.

Our neighbor plowed out our driveway and our road to the main drag out of here, so Kristine went ahead and drove today. She passed a lot of cars spun out on the side of the road along the way to work and back. She said she just drove at a steady speed around 35 and didn't have any trouble. Hope she will be able to get up the hill in the morning to get out of here. Ice sometimes makes it a slide.

Today I watched the DVD Kristine got us of Holiday Inn. I love this movie that was made in 1942 with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. I love the songs (White Christmas is from this movie) and the dancing, especially the firecracker dance. I love White Christmas too, but I love this movie even more. Holiday Inn YouTube. Holiday inn Wiki. Holiday Inn trivia.

Here are some of the sites I check for weather information.
Western United States weather here.
United States 24 hour loop here.
Looks like there is more bad weather on the way. Rain is forecast for Thursday. More snow? I'm still looking for a site that will give good up to date weather information for the area we live. Seems like about the time I find a site I like the site is changed or dropped.

[no eggs today]
Smiles
~:>

13 comments:

Carol Murdock said...

Callie I'm sending warm thoughts your way sweetie! Keep those Chick-a-dees warm!! :)

lisa said...

That is a very beautiful picture, Callie!

DayPhoto said...

I had an egg today at 7:00 a.m. and it was bitter cold.

It's 9:40 now and warmed up to -7*

Winter is here!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Diana said...

Love your photo of the sky and snowy trees! Hoping your hens fluff up and stay warm during the cold.

Callie Brady said...

Carol: Thanks for the warm wishes. The hens were warming up in the sunlight this morning.

Callie Brady said...

lisa: Thank you!

Callie Brady said...

Diana: Thank you.
The chickens are doing well.

Callie Brady said...

DayPhoto: I found one egg today too. It was in the 20's. Cold, but not near as cold as -7 and below. That is way too cold!

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

We love the picture of the snow and the sky..
Sure hope your power stays on. We wouldn't want you to freeze out there..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Becky's Barnyard said...

How pretty. I know its is cold; but so pretty.

Callie Brady said...

Gus, Louie and Callie: Glad you like the photo. I hope we can all keep the power on. Even with the wood stove going full blast it is still cold. Thanks for the good wishes.

Callie Brady said...

Becky's Barnyard: Yes, it is very pretty and cold. But I do love the snow anyway.

Tanya said...

No snow for us yet though it is raining hard enough that I have brought Choco indoors. The cats aren't too pleased about that arrangement. I hope to use the quiet afternoon to do some knitting! How many days before Christmas? And I still haven't made a wreath yet! Sorry but I'm not going out cutting pine branches today!