Monday, December 21, 2009

Winter Begins!

Today In History here says that Winter begins today. More info on the Winter Solstice here. The snow is gone, but the rain has shown up again and it is cold. So, I guess that counts as Winter. This rain is actually raining hard enough to make some noise. Hope the noise equals a lot of inches of water in the rain gage.

Kristine and I made it down the mountain today and bought some presents, had a late lunch, bought dinner for Tom. We met a lot of very nice shop keepers. One of the ladies even gave me a neat t-shirt for Christmas. On the way home Kristine stopped so I could take a photo of the town tree. It is tricky driving in fog and I really don't like it at all because of the nutty drivers who speed in the fog. What are they thinking?

The town's dedicated volunteers decorate a tree with lights every year. We were happy to find it lit up even though it was foggy.

On the way down the mountain we passed police cars, an ambulance, and a fire truck parked next to the bridge. Sad to say but we think earlier there was probably a jumper. Hope they talked the person off the bridge. I realize that people who suicide are not thinking rationally, but they don't realize the life long pain and sorrow they leave behind with those who love and know them. Their problems are over, but the legacy they leave behind is truly deadly. We have had a suicide in our extended family and I hope my grandchildren don't grow up to think that is a way to solve their problems.

I debated posting about this, but it is what we saw today and this blog is a record of what is happening around here, so, yes, I'm going to post it. May all people who despair find hope or become hope for others.

[no eggs today]
The chickens were in their coop and pen today
because of the rain.

Smiles
~:>

14 comments:

Tanya said...

I have hesitated posting about some subjects too but you are right, sad things happen. This seems to be the season for joy for some and despair for others. I hope I can keep a loving open heart for people who are feeling less than joyful.

John Going Gently said...

Christmas is not always the happy time we would like to think....
I was a psychiatric nurse for many years, the holiday season was truly a difficult time for many as I recall!
peace!

diane b said...

The picture of the tree in fog is really nice, even though fog is awful for driving.
Its true that there are a lot of unhappy and unfortunate people who have to survive Christmas. It is good to spare a thought for them rather than ignore the fact.
In Australia we don't use the solstice for our season dates we use the calendar. 1st December to Feb 28 is Summer, 1st March to 31 May is Autumn, 1st June to 30 August is Winter, 1st September to 31st Nov is Spring.Three months of each season. I don't know why we do this and BB finds it hard to understand after using the solstice dates in Switzerland. BTW Yes it is a Swiss Alp Horn on the wall.

Nancy K. said...

Having struggled with clinical depression for many years I can say with certainty that to someone in the grips of severe depression suicide truly does seem perfectly rational and logical. I know it's hard to fathom but at the time it seems like everyone else is irrational and selfish for not understanding!

Grateful that I found my way out and wishing all a holiday season and New Year filled with Love and Hope...

DayPhoto said...

The tree is lovely in the fog. I hate how people think they can still drive 'normal' in foul weather. I have seen so many people wreck, because they have to get someplace fast.

Slow down, proceed and you will get there.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

We totally agree with you... It is not the way out.. It causes lots of pain for the ones left behind...
I had a dear friend commit suicide too..


Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Becky's Barnyard said...

What a pretty tree through the fog. I don't blame you for not wanting to drive through the fog. I am sorry for people that go through depression.

Callie Brady said...

Tanya: I too have an open heart and would like to be there for people who could use the help, but it has been my experience that they are very good at hiding their problems and appearing just fine. I hope they will reach out and ask for help and understanding. I'm no good at trying to figure out who needs special help.

Callie Brady said...

John: I think whenever people are suppose to get together people who have problems have more to deal with.

Callie Brady said...

Nancy K.: I'm so glad you found your way out and I hope that will happen for everyone who needs that discovery.

Callie Brady said...

Diane: Thank you! Yes, it is best to remember. That is interesting about the calendar. Ha! I thought that was a Swiss horn.

Callie Brady said...

DayPhoto: Oh, I wish people wouldn't drive so fast. And at the holidays people are drinking and driving. Very bad.

Callie Brady said...

Gus, Louie and Callie: That suicide is always there haunting in the background. Terrible thing to have done! If their purpose was to inflict pain, I suppose they won. I would prefer to believe they really didn't know what they were doing except trying to escape their own pain.

Callie Brady said...

Becky: Thank you! I think it is a great tree too! There is a permanent hole there ready for the tree trunk to drop into when they lift it off the flatbed. Yes, I feel for the people who are having a hard time this Christmas.