Friday, December 18, 2009

Sunny Again

Today the chickens were so happy to be free they flew out of the coop squawking and flapping. They headed off under the trees and were gone for about a half hour. Then I noticed they had come back to some open areas and were scratching in the leaves. This is a Buff Brahma who has scratched up a patch of dirt she likes. Shortly after I took this photo, three hens came over to help her eat up what she had found. Some of the other hens were sun bathing in protected spots. I had planned to stay outside with Morgan, rake, watch the hens and make sure the fox would stay away.
But, when I went in the coop, I noticed that one of the windows was broken. The glass hadn't fallen out, but it was cracked and loose. I have already posted about replacing a broken window here and here, so I refrained from taking more pictures. I forgot how long it took and it took longer this time to install the new window because I had to move one of the windows because the new window didn't fit and replace all the hardware without my power screwdriver.

By the time I finished it was getting late and I didn't have much time to clean up the coop. I cleaned out the nest boxes, raked the old straw out in the pen and cleaned up under the roosts. Then I got the hammer and repaired the little piece of deck fence I appropriated for the coop to keep Morgan away from the chicken feed.

I finished those tasks just about the time the chickens were trying to get back in the coop. For now I'm using the barrel to hold the fence up against the doorway. I'll have to figure out some kind of hook arrangement to attach the fence. Morgan is curious, but I don't think she can get in between the wooden stakes and she is not a jumper, so I think this will keep her out of the coop.

I made that little piece of fence to partition off a part of deck at the Glenwood house to keep the Dobies from running down the back stairs. I had hooks on the ends so I could move it easily when I wanted to open up the space. I can't believe I hauled it all the way up here. Well, I'm glad I found a use for it.

[1 egg today]
Several hens came in the coop when I was fixing the window. I still don't know which hen is laying eggs. I think it might be one of the Light Brahmas. Tom picked up chicken feed today.

I watched this sweet little Irish folk tale film last night and wished it had lasted longer. I had never heard of it until I read about it on a blog I ran across. Find all kinds of neat stuff on the net.

Smiles
~:>

4 comments:

lisa said...

Callie, I have bird feeders next to the den window, so we can watch and the cat will jump up on the back of the couch and jump at the window! I keep waiting for window to break. It is soo funny because she does it all the time.

RoeH said...

One of the things I miss most about the snowy, cold months is the spots of sunshine bearing done on some days. Here in AZ we get really sick of the sun having it almost every single day of the year. I'd like to live somewhere where I can appreciate it again. Love the chickens.

Callie Brady said...

lisa: Some cats never learn. I guess the temptation of the birds is too much for the cat.

Lucy: It is great being able to have all the seasons instead of just Summer and a cold Summer.

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

You certainly are busy.. Morgan is just trying to help.. he he
Ya 1 egg. Not quite enough for an omelet yet..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie