Monday, June 15, 2009

Chickens In The Morning

The hens are very noisy in the morning especially when they see me coming to let them out. Except this morning! I think the camera caught their attention and for awhile they were very quiet. This is the third video I took and it has only about half of the girls yelling at me.

Sometimes I think that most of the hens are turning into roosters! I see so many of them with large combs and some who are developing the strangest cackles. Maybe that is why I only found five eggs today?

I have a theory about why Henny Penny got sick. I think she might have got sunburned and/or suffered a lot of mosquito bites which caused a bad sunburn and/or too much blood lose. She is one of two hens that didn't ever finish their molt. They have bare patches on their backs. So, I decided to cover the bare spot with duct tape. I hope the duct tape stays on and I will try to get a photo of her tomorrow.

Kristine is doing better, but one side of her jaw is still very swollen because the dentist had to cut into the bone. brrrrr...

[5 eggs today]

Smiles
~:>


2 comments:

lisa said...

I love to listen to the chickens in the morning. The rooster can be a pain when they are crowing in the middle of the early morning hours like 2 or 3 a.m.

Lisa said...

I am very glad to hear that Henny Penny is doing much better!