Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Coming and Going

Today I actually left the property. Very sad to tell, but I had to go to the dentist and there I received bad news. I have to have a new crown. Sigh. However, the good part was the drive and the stop along the way where I got to take some photos. I think I like this one the best because of the good shot of the clouds. Tahoe is going to be having thunderstorms for the next five days or more. I can hope for more rain than lightning. I really don't want anymore fires.
There are two Light Brahmas,
two Australorps, one Orpington and
one Wyandotte helping out in this photo.

Kristine and Tom were busy this afternoon unloading chicken feed. The chickens came to help out in their own silly way. You really don't want to trip over a chicken as you are carrying a heavy sack of feed, but the hens don't care and run around your feet looking for a treat. Kristine brought home a sack of hen scratch of mixed grains instead of just cracked corn. Good idea. It seems like the hens like the scratch much better than the plain corn. I have been spoiling the hens and giving them hen lay plus corn this summer. I usually save the corn for cold weather to help the hens stay warm.

Yesterday I gave the hens some blueberries and cherries that were too ripe and only later did I think about the cherry pits having cyanide in them. So far, the hens are doing ok and don't show any signs of being poisoned. I think they would have to eat a lot of pits to get sick. I'm hoping for the best.
Some how we ended up using plastic cans for feed storage instead of the metal cans we used when we first moved up here. I think it was because, when the shed roof leaked, water would leak onto the grain through the holes the handles made in the can lid. At least the plastic cans are water proof and so far we don't have any major problems with critters getting in the feed. We have found a country wood rat in a feed can one time. I will keep a look out for some metal leak proof cans. It would be best to keep the wildlife away from the feed.

I think if there are little critters eating the feed they are probably eating it out of the feeders hanging in the chicken pen. Kristine has seen a little country wood rat filling his cheeks with corn. He was so scared when Kristine shone the flashlight on him that he dropped the corn and fled the scene. I wish I could get her to tell the story. The wood rat is cute looking with large round ears. One of them is ok, but I don't want a colony. Perhaps I should be locking up the feeders at night? I'll think about that.
There are about ten hens crowded around the feeder eating the chicken scratch. Happy chickens! The broody Wyandotte is still in a nest box, so that means there are seven hens in the woods or under the house. Scratch is not their thing, evidently. I brought the hens home some lettuce for a treat and they got some watermelon which they appreciated on this hot day.

[12 eggs today]
5 of the eggs were laid together in the bottom nest in the old bookcase.
Seem that the hens favor a
small, dark, covered spot to nest.

Smiles ~:>

2 comments:

lisa said...

Its always nice to have help to unload feed!! I used to to have to unload 100 lb cow feed until they went to 50 lbs, thank goodness!! Nice shot in the first picture!! Beautiful!!

Kentucky Farm Girl said...

Love the photos. I am keeping my hens in for a few days so they will start laying in their nest boxes again. When I let them free range, they find all kinds of places to lay and I don't have enough eggs!