Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rain, Rain, Come Back!

Drip drip the trees for all the country round,
And richness rare distills from every bough;
The wind alone it is makes every sound,
Shaking down crystals on the leaves below.
~ Henry David Thoreau - The Summer Rain

I am grateful for rain!

We had some rain last night and some is forecast for Friday. What we really need are some heavy rains that will come through and make puddles. Haven't seen a puddle yet this year. The chickens spent most of the day in their coop in case the fox came back for another chicken dinner. We will wait to let them out all day for a few more days and then I will go outside with them and rake or do something. Cut branches for wreaths? Tanya suggested I make a post about putting a wreath together. I will take some photos and see what I can put together. I will try making a hand wired together wreath and one made using a foot operated clamp to close the prongs on the wire base.

Kristine found several breeds of chickens that we are thinking of adding to our flock. We like the Jersey Giants, Sussex, New Hampshire, and Welsommer because they are not white, do well in cold climates, free range, are not agressive and have brown eggs. I like brown eggs. Kristine did find that there are blue Delaware hens, so we will see about finding some of them too. I don't want to get anymore white chickens that can't hide in the leaves from predators.

If you are voting for Suzanne, Chickens In The Road,
to get to the page to vote for Suzanne click here.

[one egg today]
Smiles
~:>

14 comments:

Chicken Boys said...

Wish I could send you some of our rain. We got over 8 inches last week from Tropical Storm Ida that came up from the Gulf Coast. It started raining yesterday afternoon and continues through today for another 1-2 inches. Then we are expecting more rain on Sunday! Enough already! I want some sunshine!

RoeH said...

Know the feeling about rain. We have only had a few drops in probably close to a year. Very dry here. :(

John Going Gently said...

too much rain here in wales......................
give me some warmth and dryness.....for sure......my pigs are knee deep in cold mud
xxx

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

We voted. Sure hope you get some rain.. We are supposed to get more this evening too. Hopefully it won't mess up our lake trip..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Becky's Barnyard said...

I will be interested in your wreath instructions. I still walk down to the woods every morning in case a coyote or fox is waiting and several times a week I will walk through the woods. Hope your little hens are okay.

Diana said...

I found a wonderful way to get it to rain - wash your windows. Seems to work like a charm for me! We've had plenty of rain around here, and if I could,I would be happy to send some to you. About your chickens...we used to have a few guinea hens at the farm. To put it mildly, nothing sneaks up on them. They're an excellent alarm system and would cause quite a ruckus if Mr Foxy came stalking around. But guinea hens may not be the direction you want to go in.

Callie Brady said...

Chicken Boys: Thank you! I hope we get rain in inches tomorrow.

Callie Brady said...

Lucy: Hope you get some rain soon!

Callie Brady said...

John Gray: Poor pigs. Yes, that is too much rain. I hope it clears up soon and you have sunshine.

Callie Brady said...

Gus, Louie and Callie: Hope you have a great trip! I'm sure Suzanne appreciates the vote.

Callie Brady said...

Becky's Barnyard: I'll work on the wreaths this weekend and take some photos. Hens seem fine.

Callie Brady said...

Diana: I washed my windows. No rain. I think the guineas are too loud for my neighbors. Thanks for the info.

diane b said...

Us too could do with some decent rain. Naughty foxy. Keep the girls safe.

Callie Brady said...

diane: Hope we both get the rain we need this winter!