Sunday, November 01, 2009

My Treasures

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.
~ Thornton Wilder

This month I'm going to think of things I am grateful for and list one on the blog everyday.
Living in the forest is a treasure.

Today I walked around trying to find some November photos, but things haven't changed very much from October. More leaves have fallen and we got some rain, but things look much the same. I love the crisp cool air. I really enjoy Autumn.

This photo is for my brother and Sandy to show them how much the ivy has grown and covered the fence here in the front and pretty much all the way around the side. You planted a great ivy!
This is the broody Wyandotte. Sheesh! I wish she would give up her efforts to hatch eggs. Today when I checked under her I found two wooden eggs. I moved one over to the right for the photo where it belongs. She had moved it. Poor hen. No chicks.

This is the smaller planter box.
I took the day off and didn't work in the garden.

The bigger planter box.
I checked online for information about putting chicken wire down to keep out the gophers before I put in the dirt. That seems to be a good idea. While I was searching around I found a lot of information about squirrels tearing up planter boxes, either burying nuts and/or eating the vegetables. Some blame the squirrels interest on the type of soil put in the box because it is easy to dig holes in so the squirrels attack. I may have to build some kind of chicken wire cage if the squirrels become a problem. Kristine says not to worry. Let's just see what happens. Sounds good to me. But, I think I will line the bottom with small chicken wire.

Talked to Kathleen today! She said this is going to be a weekly call. How great is that!
And she said she is going to send me some photos
of Tristan, Rhiannon and Jaidan
in their Halloween costumes!
So I can post them.

[2 eggs today]
Now two Light Brahmas are molting!
Smiles
~:>

8 comments:

diane b said...

A very true quote and yes you have a treasure living in a forest (unless there is a bushfire)

lisa said...

The boxes are really nice! I have missed visiting your blog! I have been pretty lazy lately and of course busy! I like your idea on the one thing you are thankful for! I am going to do the seven collage every day for the seven day week thing. come visit!

Becky's Barnyard said...

What a great idea. We (or I) fall into a take things for granted most of the time. I am a really blessed person. I think you might have to buy you a rooster so she can have her some baby chicks. She must really want them.

Anonymous said...

Your first picture is so serene. I too would cherish it.

I have heard if you put cat hair in flower beds it will help deter the squirrels. I don't know if it's true but I don't think it would hurt to try. If it fails it didn't cost anything for the effort.

love your beds, well made. Hugs. Tammy

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

What nice planters you have made mom. We are so proud of you..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

DayPhoto said...

And the wonder of living in a forest...

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Callie Brady said...

diane: There is always something to worry about. I would rather live in the mountains than in the city. Been there.

lisa: I'll be checking out your blog!

Becky's Barnyard: Thank you! Nope. No rooster. The hen will just have to get over the boody thing.

A Stitch In Thyme: Thanks for the cat hair tip!

Gus, Louie and Callie: Thank you all!

DayPhoto: Yep. It is a real treat living in the woods.

cottage garden farmer said...

Grey squirrels are a big problem in my garden Callie, they dig up my bulbs, eat all the hazelnuts and steal the wild bird food - very annoying!!