Sunday, November 15, 2009

No Place Like Home

Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam,
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home;
A charm from the sky seems to hallow us there,
Which, seek through the world, is ne'er met with elsewhere.
~ John Howard Payne - Home, Sweet Home

I am very grateful for home.

My brother and Sandy built this house and I am happy here. We moved around so much when I was a kid that I wanted to stay in one place after I married. So, we built a house and stayed there for over thirty years and now we are here. I like this photo of the house. It looks cozy nestled in the snow. I would sure like some rain and snow!
Another chickens in the woods photo.
This year I'm going to be making wreaths! I made this wreath last year. Here is a link to a post showing me taking this wreath apart. I need to look in the Christmas boxes and see if I can find the wreath makings to use again this year.

I'm looking forward to handling the pine trees, cutting the branches into wreaths size bunches, and assembling the wreaths. Then will come the wreath decorating part of the operation. Adding Christmas decorations to the wreaths is fun! With the economy the way it is I hope people will be able to buy wreaths. It's a bit sad to make a pretty wreath and then not have it sell and be able to spread it's Christmas cheer.

When I started making pancakes this morning I remembered we were out of baking powder, and Tom hadn't gone to the store yet, so I made soda pancakes. Can't say as I liked them as well as baking powder pancakes. They were OK, but I don't want to make them again. I remember making soda bread and I didn't really like it very much either. I guess I would like it better if I was used to the taste. I suppose we like what we grow used to eating.

[3 eggs today]
The hens are still molting.
Smiles
~:>

10 comments:

diane b said...

The house looks like a post card. Good luck with the wreaths, that one looks lovely.

Callie Brady said...

diane: Thank you! I made that wreath last year. There is a link to me taking this wreath apart on the sidebar above the blog archive. I think I will add a link in the post.

John Going Gently said...

make sure the chicks are fed with extra protein!!!

x

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Mom is so jealous of your home. She so wants a house in the woods with a few acres so we can run about..
Any kind of pancakes are yummy..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Becky's Barnyard said...

What a beautiful place. Hope you get lots of snow this year. I always enjoy seeing pictures of your chickens.

Callie Brady said...

John Gray jgsheffield@hotmail.com: Thanks for the information.

Callie Brady said...

Gus, Louie and Callie: Hope you get a house in the woods someday.

Jennifer said...

I love that wreath! You made it yourself? I wish I could make something like that and have it turn out so nice!

Callie Brady said...

Jennifer: Thank you! You can!

Tanya said...

I'm afraid I have only ever had dried wreaths and plastic wreaths. I don't suppose you want to do a tutorial of wreath making... I don't know what I'd do for a frame like yours... I've got the forest behind me though...