Sunday, November 08, 2009

Happy Hens

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.
~ Emily Dickinson, 1830-1886

I'm thankful for Hope.

The hens are stuffed with melon. Some of them came up on the porch and ate melon pieces and then left for better pickings in the woods. This poor molting Light Brahma came back to this cantaloupe and had it all to herself. She looks bad but she is growing in a lot of pin feathers. Now all three of the Light Brahmas are molting. The plastic is covering up firewood for the wood stove.

The chickens went to this sunny spot in the woods.
I walked around back there under the trees and it is warm and peaceful.

I almost stepped on this Wyandotte. It wasn't as light as it looks in the photo and the sun was shining in my eyes. The photo shows how fast the dirt dries out after two light rains. This hen was nice and warm and didn't get up when I got closer to take the photo. I watched the hens dust bathe and found that some of them peck in the dirt and find things to eat as they lay in the depression and kick and dig and fluff their feathers in the dust. I didn't realize they ate and dusted at the same time. Smart little hens.

This photo is here just for fun and laughs. I made buttermilk pancakes for Kristine this morning and for some reason the last pancake was thicker on one side and didn't cook through. So this was my solution. It was just uncooked on the end. When the girls were little I used to have a lot of fun making animal shape pancakes. I got this no side iron skillet a few years ago and it makes flipping pancakes so much easier than using the sided skillets. Sometimes I use it for tortillas or as a lid for the dutch oven or other skillets.

It was very nice talking to Kathleen tonight!

[no eggs today]
Smiles
~:>

5 comments:

diane b said...

Yum I could eat one right now.

John Going Gently said...

funny what treats chickens love.....melons, raw pastry (they go wild for it), spaghetti, and cheap white bread!!!

DayPhoto said...

Aren't hen chickens just the best things? They bring me so much joy. And I think they act like people.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Cute happy chickens and pannycakes.. Mmmm

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Becky's Barnyard said...

Nothing like basking in the sun and a little dirt bath. Pancakes look yummy. I love pancakes.