Friday, December 02, 2011

Homemade DIY Haramaki

Haramaki is a belly warmer or belly band worn in Japan to help keep the body temp up. My DIY is not a fashion statement. These are Fashion Haramaki here.


I would like to make one to wear at night when it is really cold. 

First off... the sweater is nice but the turtle neck part of it is too small and chokes me... soooo

I thought I might use some yarn to somehow bind off an edge but that would be a lot of work.



Then I remembered an old stretchy shirt and I thought maybe I could use them together?


I cut the top off the white shirt and put the shirt wrong side to right side of the sweater.










It took me a while to figure that out.








Basted and then sewed the two together
*before*
cutting the sweater.





Sewing first, then cutting made the job go much quicker.

I think I'll try wearing it to bed and see if it really keeps my feet warm.

That's what it's supposed to do.






I made a cap out of the
turtle neck.







Haramaki Update: 
This morning I woke with warm feet and head! I didn't wake up with cramping feet or a frozen head during the night. As a test I didn't wear a cap to bed to check out if my head would stay warm. I did wear socks, but my feet would still get cold and cramp even if I wear socks.

Haramaki are supposed to work by keeping the body core warm and thereby the blood supply. Makes sense... instead of trying to warm my feet where the blood is already cold.

I want a couple of the slimmer type fashion Haramaki to wear during the day. This bulky one I made is great for sleeping, but it adds 30 pounds to my tummy. Not a good look.

Note: I'm going to get a couple of t-shirts that will fit tight, cut off the tops at the arms, and sew them together. That might make a daytime Haramaki. I'll post a photo. Have to get the t-shirts first.

~~

December Quotes
My Favorite Quotations On Giving

~~~
3 - What a child doesn't receive he can seldom later give. P.D.James

2. - May no gift be too small to give, nor too simple to receive,
which is wrapped in thoughtfulness,
and tied with love. L.O.Baird

1. - We should give as we would receive, cheerfully,
quickly, and without hesitation;
for there is no grace in a benefit that sticks to the fingers. ~Seneca

6 comments:

Barbee' said...

You are amazing with all your talent and projects.

Unknown said...

I love it:) It is so much more fun to DIY stuff than to buy them!

Kateri said...

That is an interesting idea! Let us know if it works to keep your feet warm--if it does I need one!

Kateri said...

It does make sense that if you keep the core warm, you will be warmer all over. Facinating that it worked!

Gill - That British Woman said...

interesting idea, dh should wear that...

Gill in Canada

Tanya said...

Your haramaki was successful! Maybe I should try one? But I'm already dealing with hot flashes in the middle of the night. I end up naked and freezing!!!!