Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Mending Fence


I let my neighbour know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us as we go.
~ Robert Frost - Mending Wall

I'm grateful for good neighbors.

Kristine let Morgan out this morning before she fed her and Morgan was gone. Kristine called her. I called her. No Morgan. Finally Kristine had to leave for work and I went out walking the fence line calling and looking for Morgan. I thought maybe a tree had fallen and knocked the fence down and Morgan had left for parts unknown. As I was walking and checking the fence I noticed several places where the barbed wire was loose or broken. Eventually, I found Morgan staring up at the tops of some trees. Entranced. Wonder what was up there? She doesn't miss breakfast for squirrels. And she was quiet. Not one bark.
Later I hauled some tools out to the fence to do some repair work and Kristine came by with the chicken killer. Lucky is Tom's dog. After the chicken incident, Lucky spends most of his time inside with Tom. We used to let him run around when the chickens were locked up, but he went over the fence one day and went after my neighbors goats. So that was the end of that. Inside! I would need an eight foot anchor fence to keep that dog on the property. As it says in the poem Mending Wall, "Good fences make good neighbours."

My brother built this fence and had to put extra supports in the area shown in the photo because at that time there were people around here who would drive their cars through peoples fences. The area around here is pretty much fenced now and there are even some paved roads, so there haven't been anymore cars smashing the fence down. Now I just have to worry about the trees falling on the fence. Well, there was the time a bunch of horses got loose in a storm and knocked the back fence down. You never know.

When I was a kid I lived in an area that had stone fences that had been built it was said by the Chinese. I don't know about that, but I loved the stone fences that ran over the rolling hills not following the new barbed wire fence lines. I always wondered about the early farmers and their adventures settling the countryside. Did they hire the Chinese or were the Chinese the settlers? Lots of gold mining in that area too with huge hills of dirt and rock all over the place from hydraulic mining. The poem above is about neighbors mending a stone fence. I always wanted to build a rock wall. Never had any rock. I guess those farmers plowed up lots of rocks. Why not make fences? I've got lots of leaves. I could make wreaths?

I had to take a photo of one of the Light Brahmas new pin feathers growing out on her neck. These Brahmas are hopefully going to have all new feathers in time for winter.

[3 eggs today]
Tom collected the eggs. Yea!
Smiles
~:>

4 comments:

Chicken Boys said...

I am not sure where you live, but it absolutely beautiful country. I'd love it there.

DayPhoto said...

Sigh! Lovely!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpres.com

Callie Brady said...

Chicken Boys: It is lovely! You would like it if you like living in the sticks.

DayPhoto: Yes. It is beautiful.

Tanya said...

Lucky looks exactly like a dog my father used to have and unfortunately it too went over the fence and killed the neighbor's chickens. Noramlly a standoffish dog. We put extra high fences up after that...