The leaky waterer is the one hanging and the area looks dry because the water has been turned off but not disconnected. I had to bring out a large pliers to get the hose loose.
This is the closest I have seen a chicken get to the new waterer and that is as close as she got.
I misunderstood when Kristine said I could hook the waterer on the fence. It does have hooks, but they are for hooking over the type of wire on hog panels.
I used the wing nuts and metal washers provided to attach it to the anchor fence.
I think I will add some more chicken wire above the waterer so a raccoon can't wait for a chicken to come for a drink and then reach in and grab the hen.
To discourage the chickens from roosting and fouling the water I drilled some holes in the top of the old waterer and hung it over the new setup. I may have to lower the top a bit more if the hens mess up the water.
Kristine tried to find a poultry waterer, but this is all they had and I think this is really an all purpose waterer that could be used for dogs, cats, etc. But, at least it doesn't leak.
I will post some more photos of chickens actually using the waterer when the hens decide they want to drink from the new fountain.
And I would like to post a video of the hens drinking (thanks for the idea John at Going Gently) if I can figure out how with the new editor. Of course, I could always go back and use the old editor and see if that will work.
No painting today. I didn't feel very good or like it was a good day for me to be up on a ladder. I worked around the house doing laundry and cut some plexiglass for the computer counter top... that's another post.