Thursday, August 26, 2010

Dust Up In The Coop!

Morgan and I both hurried over to the coop to see what the problem was because we heard lots of loud squawking and flapping and saw dust flying.


For a change I had my camera and could record the aftermath of a chicken dust up. It was getting dark and most of the hens had gone to roost. These bad girls were not dust bathing they were having a before bedtime  tantrum. 


The hens knocked over the oyster shell container during their squabble and by the time Morgan and I arrived they were still stomping around clucking loudly. The hens soon acted like their little set-to had never happened and went to bed.


We have been putting toys in this container as we unpack boxes and come across toys in good condition. Also I have been putting in clothing that can be used for dress up and odds and ends that I thought the grandkids might like to play with like the little teapot.


I did find a really neat set of jacks I ordered a long time back, but I can't remember if I ordered it for the girls or for a gift. No matter... it's mine now. I put the jacks in my box of stuff I'm keeping and as soon as I find it again I'll take some photos and post them.


In the '40's playing jacks was one of my favorite rainy day indoor games. I think I'll try playing again so I'll be ready to play against the kids. Or maybe I can get away with saying I'm playing jacks to improve my eye hand coordination?


I think I got a bit dehydrated yesterday because I was thirsty all day and very tired, so I didn't work outside. I actually managed to cook dinner. Well, if you can call dinner chicken soup. Lots of soup. I made enough for three days!


Every time I make soup it's different because I just use what I have on hand and this time I added something new... yams. The yams were supposed to be sweet potatoes, but there were none to be had so we got yams.


It has been too hot to bake them so they ended up in the soup. It was too hot to make soup too, but it was easier than anything else I could think of at the time. 
The yams are kind of hard to tell from the carrots, but they tasted fine in the soup. In fact I wouldn't have known they were there if I hadn't put them in the soup myself.


Tomorrow it is supposed to be down to 80 which will feel positively cool compared to the very hot temps we have had. So, back to unpacking boxes.


I'm still way behind reading and replying to comments and blogs. From the little reading I have done it seems that this is the time of year that a lot of bloggers get caught up in other things. I shouldn't feel guilty, but I do.


Peek at the Past
Photos of how I make quesadillas.
(August 26, 2009)

[6 eggs today]

~:>
Smiles

3 comments:

Little Messy Missy said...

Do you grow your own yams? I love when the chickens take dust baths!!!

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Those chickens sure get all excited over nothing. he he
Mmm chicken soup, don't show that to the chickens are they will quit laying eggs..
Thanks for the website about the cheese cake. Mom will check it out..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Anonymous said...

My those chickens must have thrown quite the hissy fit. I, too, am struggling to keep up with posting and reading and commenting and responding. I know mine is due to going back to teaching last week. With all the work you've been doing, there is no need to feel guilty.

Teresa