Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Sunny But Cold


The chickens are eating scratch I tossed on the ground and Morgan is thinking about how she can lick some of the corn up without me seeing her being sneaky. I really don't want to be up all night with a sick doggie. So, I stand and watch while the chickens eat up all the scratch.

There is a pile of small branches behind Morgan. I'm collecting them to use as a layer in the hugelkultur planter beds. I still need to find some more small branches and some larger pieces for the first layer. I wish I knew someone who had cows because I would love to have some manure to add to the soil. I really don't want to buy bags of compost from the nursery. Who knows what is in the stuff or where it comes from.

I guess I will dig up some of the "soil" from the chicken pen and add it to the dirt in the planter beds. I have read that chicken poo will burn plant roots, so I will add the chicken soil as a layer over the bottom layer of logs. Maybe I can take off the top few inches of soil in the chicken pen and put that on the logs and then use the soil that is deeper and has been there longer to add to the dirt I will use for top soil in the planter beds. I'll see what happens when I ever get out there to do some work.

I found another site (OregonLive) with info about hugelkultur with a link to a diagram on how to assemble the layers. It seems that people put the beds together pretty much the way they want according to what they have on hand or can get. I was getting worried about what layers go where, but I have decided to calm down and just do the best I can with what I have available.

(May 5, 2009)
Screamer is a kick.
Too bad I didn't catch her "yelling" at me.

[4 eggs today]

~:>
Smiles

9 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Good luck with the chicken poop, be careful, it is hot. Maybe start adding a little to your compost.

Mike said...

It is said that chicken poop is really hot so it is a good idea to compost it first.

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

what a great idea, now I know what I can do with all these branches!

Leigh said...

Great post Callie. I fell like you were talking just to me! I know I've got a gold mine in chicken poop; it's just learning to use it properly that I'm working on. Deep litter method so far with the idea of tilling it into the garden in the fall. Thanks for the link to that article. Information I can definitely use.

Chicken Boys said...

What is it about dogs (and cats) that they want what everyone else has? Mine do the same thing. I have seem Stripey and Prissy out eating layer pellets and scratch that was on the ground! The chickens don't try to eat the cat food! Sheesh! Stay warm!
~Randy

DayPhoto said...

Scrape you chicken poop in a pile and add some green stuff and then water the whole thing down. Let is sit and turn it a couple of times before you put it in the flower beds or you will burn the roots of the plants. Otherwise it is really good stuff. The composting will also kill all the weed seeds and you won't have to pull them.

Linda

http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Sunshine Mom said...

I LOVE the picture of your chickens at the top of you page! So cute!!

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

To bad you aren't closer you could get some sheep poop from our trainer.. She is more than willing to have Dad bag it up and bring it home.. he he

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Lori Skoog said...

Are you feeling better now? I sure do appreciate your visits and kind words.

Chicken manure (according to my husband the Garlic Farmer) is as good as it gets.