Sunday, May 23, 2010

Buff Brahma On The Rocks


One of these rocks is
not like the others.


When I first looked at the rock pile I didn't see the hen. She just looked like one of the rocks until she moved.






Then she moved up
to one of the
water basins
for a drink of rain water.





She didn't stay up there very long.
I guess I disturbed her
when I was walking around
taking photos.



The myrtle (vinca minor) is so pretty and green this year because of the wet winter. Some years it suffers when it is a hot dry year with not much rain in the winter. It is a hardy plant and manages to hang on with little care from me as long as it has some shade. It might die back a bit in full sun in the summer if it gets too dry and hot, but then it will recover with the first rains of the year.

The chickens don't eat the myrtle leaves or flowers.
In fact, Nothing seems to bother the myrtle. 

Kristine told me she has some Western Tanagers living in the trees near her slider upstairs. I love this site, All About Birds, there is a great photo of the Western Tanager and lots of information. They are beautiful birds. I have only seen one once and Kristine said they move too fast for her to get a photo. They are supposed to be slow moving? I guess our Tanagers didn't get the word. Kristine and I had a lot of fun today looking up birds on this site and listening to the sounds they make. I can understand how people get hooked on bird watching.

(May 23, 2009)
Morgan is so funny!

[7 eggs today]

~:>
Smiles

8 comments:

JoyceAnn said...

That buff brahma does blend in well with the rocks , she's a beautiful hen.
We had some eastern tanagers nesting near our pool a couple of years ago , they're beautiful small birds. The male is red and the female is green. I enjoyed watching them coming in and out of the nest.

~ Natural Blessings ~

Melodie said...

That is a beautiful little bird,I checked it out through your link!

lisa said...

I love reading about different birds and listening to them. I actually love to listen to the morning doves myself! You have a good day!

Little Messy Missy said...

I love the Buff Brahma, I have a big white one but the orangey color is beautiful!

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

A chicken in Camo how cool..
That Tanager is beautiful. MeMaw has a bird feeder and she always has some beautiful birds that come to visit.. The goldfinches are lovely.. She even had a turkey one day..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Texan said...

Your hen looks very at home there :O)... she is pretty!

Kateri said...

she is a beautiful hen!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I always learn something when I come to your blog Callie!! THANKS for teaching an old dog something new and for fun pictures of a camo hen!! :-))) Hope your week is off to a good start!!