Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cell Phone, Car, and Crash





Update: 5/26/2010 - Kristine has whiplash in her shoulder... that is where the hand tremor came from. She will need therapy. No loaner car yet. We are still waiting for info from the car repair place.

This is not a lot of fun.

--------------------------
It was raining today, the chickens were locked up because of the rain and because we lost another hen to a predator. Something got one of the Dark Brahmas. She was slow and not too bright. She was the one who forgot where the door was every morning.

My neighbor is down to one chicken because of a fox getting in her pen and taking her chickens.

She still has the polish hen we gave her that Kristine found.


 I was having fun cooking dinner on the wood stove. Stew in the dutch oven and vegetables in the steamer. I made shortcake in the dutch oven later.

Then the phone rang!

Kristine called to let me know she never made it to work because while she was stopped at a red light someone who was talking on a cell phone (there were witnesses who left their names and numbers) ran into the back of her car. 

Kristine was checked by the Fire Dept and EMT's. They made her promise to go to a doctor. I don't want to post about that. His car had to be towed. Kristine's car was towed to a place to be repaired.

Click here (Kristine's blog) to read Kristine's account of what happened.

Kristine is home, I'm trying to calm down. I'll post more about the accident tomorrow. I really don't think you could call it an accident. I think using a cell phone while driving is criminal.

Be safe everyone!
I don't know what you can do to be safe when some idiot runs into you.

(May 25, 2010)

[7 eggs today]

~:>
Smiles
And I'm very grateful Kristine is home!

15 comments:

Nancy K. said...

I'm so glad that Kristine wasn't hurt! How scary. You're right ~ it's the 'other guy' that you have to watch out for...

Vicki Lane said...

I agree with you on the cell phone. Criminal negligence at least.

JoyceAnn said...

I hope they'll ban cellphone use while driving soon. Glad Kristine is o.k. and hope Mom calms down soon too :0)
Kristine has a wonderful sense of humor , she left me smiling as I read her account of the incident.

~ Mnay Blessings ~

Melodie said...

I am so glad Kristine is safe...I do not understand why people can't get it into their heads that driving and cell phones don't mix!

RoeH said...

Talking on a cell while driving...not to even mention texting while driving ... is just idiotic. I cannot for the life of me understand why people cannot go 5 minutes without being 'in touch'. Drives me crazy.

John Going Gently said...

glad she's ok!!!!!!!1
x

Little Messy Missy said...

I agree. I lock my cell phone in my trunk while I drive because I know I will be tempted! I hope she is okay.

DayPhoto said...

I'm glad Kristine was not hurt!! I so agree with you about the cell phones. They should be banned while driving, or eating, or shopping. Like smoking they should only occur outside the building.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

DeniseinVA said...

We've had that happen to us at least three times over the years. I make it a point never to talk on my cell phone while driving. Too many distractions out there without adding another dangerous one. It only takes a second! If I get a call that I know is important, then I will find a safe place to exit and call them back asap. Nothing is worth endangering others, let alone yourself.

Unknown said...

Oregon LAw prohibits the use of cell phones for talking & texting while driving. All States should follow the same law.Thankful Kristine was ok..

Carol............. said...

Your wood stove looks so inviting. I can almost taste the stew..one of my favorite meals....with cornbread.

You have an interesting blog with lots of goodies to check out.

Lori Skoog said...

I hope Kristine is doing well. This cell phone business is out of control. They are going to have to hand out some very severe penalties to get a grip on the situation.

diane b said...

So sorry to hear about the accident. Glad that Kristine wasn't hurt bad. We have the same problem with mobile phones (is what we call cell phones) some idiots even text while driving.

Knatolee said...

Good thoughts coming for Kristine's healing. How awful for all of you! Here in Ontario they have banned the use of cellphones while driving, unless they are hands-free (which frankly is only minutely less dangerous.) But people still gab on the phone and drive. I'm just glad Kristine wasn't killed.

And very sorry to hear you lost a hen. That's so upsetting!

Tanya said...

I hope Kristine will heal quickly. It's good that there are laws now keeping those cell phones put away but too bad that so many people still do it on the sly. Hope you have a better time with the insurance companies than you've had in the past.