Saturday, May 22, 2010

More Rain And Hail


I moved the chicken feed inside this morning so it would be safe from the rain. Yes, it is raining again.

The weather is not cooperating with my efforts to work outside and there will be at least two more days of rain. It hailed this afternoon! I'm not taking anymore rain and hail photos. Well, at least not today!


I'd like to blame my hiatus from blogging on the weather, but I really don't know why I feel so blah and have such a feeling of blog overload. I should be over recovering from the cold. I hope when warm sunny weather ever shows up my mood will improve and I'll feel like doing something. Cabin fever?


Before the rain and hail showed up today I managed to clean the chicken coop and the nest boxes. I pretty much filled the wagon with wood chips from the nest boxes. I'll put the wood chips in the garden planter boxes.

I still haven't got the chicken pen cleared out because of the weather. Well, that's my excuse. My efforts to divide the nesting area into individual spaces didn't work out, so in the top nest box I stacked straw flakes in the middle to make two nest spaces. I did this in the middle nest box too, but left the bottom nest area flat for the hens to use as a communal nest box. Some of the hens like to nest together.



One of the twisty wooden things that hold the nest box doors shut came off and that took some time to fix. The drill bit kept messing up the heads of the screws and then I had to fix part of the fence. Stuff is always falling apart.

Since I have never had a compost pile before I have been searching for information on maintaining and turning it. This is a helpful video. I like the idea of just taking the wire cage away and forking it all into an empty cage. Since there has been so much rain and I added a lot of water to the compost when I was putting the layers together I think I will be adding straw and other dry stuff to the mix.
Peek at the Past
(May 21, 2009)
Homemade Compost Bins
I need to make another wire bin to turn the bin into.

[8 eggs today]

~:>
Smiles

7 comments:

Jen said...

Nice pics. It been rainin here too :( I want it to dry up. We are gonna finish the 2nd coop today... I really need to clean the my big coop!

Melodie said...

YOu got a lot of stuff done despite the weather! I hope you feel better once the sunshine makes it back!

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Callie ~ I've been feeling kinda blah too , but I think it's for the opposite reason. It's been so dry here and I haven't planted the main garden yet , I feel so behind on everything.
Hope your blahs will fade away and be replaced with good energy !!

~ Be Blessed ~

Little Messy Missy said...

Your gonna be busy when that rain finally stops. Lookin' good so far. Good luck on the compost!

Alettesiriane said...

The weather has affect on us.Hopefully it will soon be better.Have a nice day.(Alette Siri Ane)Had to change my blogg name and adress.

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

We are so sorry about all the rain.. Hopefully it will let up soon and Morgan you won't have to stay out in the rain..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

LindaG said...

If you've been feeling blah, perhaps you should just take a little break from the internet for a while. Take time for yourself and the things you need to get done.

*hugs*

I've heard chickens are good for stirring up compost piles. :)