Sunday, May 09, 2010

Making Beds


Morgan sniffed out the planter beds today and before I knew what she was doing she ate some of the alfalfa pellets. Hope they won't make her sick.


I raked up a bunch of leaves, pine needles and other forest litter and added it and other layers of dirt and straw to the hugelkultur

I was going to start work in the chicken pen, but it started raining. Good excuse to quit and watch Inspector Morse.

Here is another new link to a site with great photos on hugelkultur and composting. Somehow I managed to forget to put in a layer of cardboard and newspaper. Photos on composting are at the top and hugelkultur photos are toward the bottom.

Here is a link to a post with great photos of how to hugelkultur that I have posted before. I'm adding more layers to my beds so I can add more layers of the crummy dirt we have around here. If I could have started with some fairly good soil I could get away with the layers in the photos. The dirt we have is like pulverized rocks. Well, we are on top of the mountain so all the good dirt washed away to the valley long ago. 

Hope everyone had a great day!

(May 9, 2009)

[7 eggs today]

~:>
Smiles

3 comments:

Jody Blue said...

I'm finding this all very interesting. I sent the links to my husband...he is the garden guru around here:)

Becky's Barnyard said...

Your garden looks good. It seems to be holding Morgans interest.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Callie, I really like that you are making use of what you have around you!! I need to keep that in mind as I mulch my beds too! Our house used to be a corn field, so we have good dirt, but there are other things that could be added to my beds to make the soil even better!!