Friday, May 14, 2010

Digging Up The Chicken Pen


The chickens and Morgan were very interested in my efforts to dig up the chicken pen. I managed to dig up enough to put a layer on each of the planter beds, but didn't really clear much of the pen.

I am going to have to switch from building planter boxes to digging out the rest of the pen before it starts drying out. When the soil around here dries it is like cement and I would need a pick to make a dent.

For now a pitch fork is working well because of all the pine branches layered in the pen the shovel won't be of any use until I get the top layers off. It is going to take me a while to clear out the pen and coop and bring in a new layer of dirt.

Tomorrow I'm going to put together a quick compost area and move the rest of the pen chicken dirt there and let it compost. At least I hope I will be able to put together something with some old fencing I found.

This is only a fourth of the tree that fell on the chicken coop. There is another piece as long as this and just as much of the tree is still waiting to fall. The coop is a lot stronger than I thought because you can't tell that it was hit. 

I was careful and didn't work too hard. I would work for a bit and then go inside for a glass of apple juice and cool down and then go out and cover another bed. After I got them all covered I watered them down and put on a layer of dirt.

Kristine saw two coyotes running down the road on her way home. So, fair warning. I know the predators are out there, but they are easy to forget about until we see them or they make a visit. 

(May 14, 2009)

[9 eggs today]

~:>
Smiles

9 comments:

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Your work is really continuing and I think you're making some great progress!! Hope all is safe from the coyote!

diane b said...

Those planter boxes are reeking with nutrition. Can't wait to see what they produce.

Carol said...

I was going to say "don't work too hard" - glad to see you didn't.

Little Messy Missy said...

Can't wait to see them planted!

Lori Skoog said...

My husband says that chicken droppings make the best fertilizer for gardens...obviously, we have an endless supply of horse manure.

Hope you are feeling well and have a great day.

Lorilee said...

I won't be able to work outside much today. It poured for over an hour early this morning. My yard is flooded! If I try to go into my garden, I will sink at least to my ankles! I guess it will be an inside chore day.
Blessings,
Lorilee

Jody Blue said...

You are a worker to be sure. I'm glad your taking it some what easy.

Kelly said...

Take it one day at a time or your back wont make it. It does feel good to work hard and see the fruit of your labor. Just think how beautiful those planter boxes will be.

Gail said...

I hear you...concrete! I dread this job but I do enjoy the results with any plant I give the treat.