Tuesday, January 24, 2012

White Moss?...No! Mushroom! Yes! Homemade Dog Food?

Update: Lynda commented and she was right.
Thank you, Lynda!
Click here for information and more photos of the 
Hericium Mushroom

But Kristine said that no way 
was she eating that mushroom for dinner.

----------


This morning Kristine spotted something white on an oak tree as she drove down the driveway. 

She told me about it at the gate and sent me off to capture some photos for my blog.

I don't ever remember seeing this growth before on any of the trees or rocks around here.

In fact, it reminds me more of a sea anemone than something that belongs in a forest.

I almost expected to see the little wormy looking things to start waving at me.

Then I'm sure I would have yelled and run away. Boo!

I was already a little spooked because Kristine said that the white thing on the tree didn't look natural and not to get too close. 

Ah, but I had to get close to get a half way decent picture.


Click on the bottom photo and it will enlarge and you can get a better look... 

that is if you want to get a better look.

I have been searching around trying to identify this thing.

The sites I have found so far don't have any photos of any moss that look like this specimen. 

Maybe it's a new find and I can name it after Kristine... she found it.

Morgan is going to see the vet today just to make sure she is OK.

The chickens have to stay locked up today because we don't leave them out when we are not here.

Bad things always seem to happen to the hens when we are gone and they are loose.

Morgan vet visit update:

  1.      5:00 pm - just got back from Morgan's appointment.
  2.      Morgan was checked over by the vet.
  3.      Blood was drawn for a comprehensive panel .
  4.      She may have diabetes?

We have to wait for the blood work to be completed before there can be a diagnosis. Waiting for a phone call.


But one good thing is that the vet is going to be giving me some recipes for making homemade dog food so I can stop buying dog food and make Morgan's meals!


7:00 pm - haven't heard from the vet, so I fed Morgan some warm rice with a 1/4 c. dog food. Hope to hear from the vet tomorrow.


I just remembered what the doberman breeder told me to feed my first dobe puppy for 6 months: cooked rice, cooked hamburger and scrambled eggs. I mixed it all up after cooking and rolled it into meat ball sized portions.


Can't remember the portion he got at each meal, but along with pet vitamins and oils he grew up big, strong and beautiful.


That recipe is maybe OK for a growing dog, but I think it is too rich for a mature dog like Morgan. I'm interested to see the recipes the vet copies for me to feed Morgan.

~:>

9 comments:

Lynda said...

I have heard of a mushroom/fungi called "lions mane"...it's white and shaggy...maybe that's what you have...they say they taste good.

Hope Morgan gets to feeling better.

Kristine said...

O.O

...okay, i never got a close look at it before I told Mom to get a picture.

that's just downright creepy. Last time I saw something like that was in the movie Slither. Which was more nauseating than it was scary.

lancy said...

Thanks for sharing this informative post !

Complete Dog Food

P.N. Subramanian said...

Kristine's Moss was very interesting. Wishing you and your family a very happy New Year though belatedly.

LindaG said...

That is definitely a creepy growth.

Thanks for the recipe, too. Hope the vet sends the others and you share those, too.

If you are worried about it being too rich, cut the hamburger and leave the egg. I bet that would be fine for Morgan.

Look forward to updates, Callie. Hope you all have a good day!

Terry and Linda said...

Is it moss or a fungi? I don't think I like it either, but heck, there's room in the world for it I'm sure.


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

rkbsnana said...

Goodness, you got me.

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Hehehehe, I have done that too, I dont make a move towards the computer till I have had my coffee.

This is a mushroom and its called a Bearded Tooth Mushroom. You can google under Images and search for it.

God bless your day and keep you all safe.