Saturday, February 19, 2011

Winter Came Back... snow!

I'm glad to have the cold days back and the snow.

The temp is up to 32 and there is some melting going on, but there is more snow due the next two weeks.

We are only at around 3000 feet and so don't get the heavy winter snows that are dumping higher up the mountains.

This time I remembered and left the gate open because after a snow I would have to shovel clear a place to move it. Don't really want to do that.

I did move the chicken's feeders inside and filled up a pot of warm water.

They are lucky hens and had some chopped up leftover steak and fresh broccoli for treats.

No eggs, but I saw an Australorp in a nest box, so maybe an egg later?

The kids are away on a side trip, but will be back for my birthday. Forecast is for a sunny day. Rains may come and melt all the snow by then. Sure doesn't take long for the snow to melt. I would just as soon have a snowy birthday except I don't want the kids to have to drive through bad weather.

7 comments:

Hopeful said...

glad you remembered to leave the gate open! yes, spoiled hens and that's a good thing. hope you get the snow you want for your upcoming birthday!

Anonymous said...

Your hens do seem spoiled so hopefully you did get an egg?? Enjoy the snow.

Unknown said...

Good thing you brought the chickens in. They are lucky to be loved and they may give you many eggs of thanks in due time.

Mocha Barney, Ashley Pumpernickel and Winniechurchill

Knatolee said...

I didn't know hens liked steak, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised since I've never seen them turn up their beaks at anything. Ours go nuts for fish skin! I always save mine when we have salmon.

Very snow there! Stay warm. :)

Knatolee said...

Hey Ronna, I nominated you for a Stylish blogger award. Check my blog for details! :)

Knatolee said...

(Hmm, I hope this comment doesn't appear twice, because I realized I had the wrong name on it and stopped it mid-flight and am sending it again. If it shows up twice, my apologies!)

I nominated you for a Stylish blogger award. Check my blog for details! :)

Lynda said...

Oh my! Aren't you popular...I just named you for a stylish blogger award, too!

http://cortinacreek.blogspot.com/2011/02/so-much-going-on.html