Tuesday, February 01, 2011

4th Of July Quilt?

I'm hand sewing 12 different blocks because I enjoy the hand work while watching old black and white movies on YouTube.

The latest videos I've found star Franchot Tone. I guess I don't really watch the movies as much as glance and listen to them while I sew. Very relaxing.

I just don't get the same enjoyment out of machine sewing, but I certainly don't want to give up my sewing machine. However, I take great pleasure out of hand sewing the blocks and hand quilting.

Kristine's good friend gifted me with lots of wonderful fabric. Thank You Very Much!!! I decided to make some blocks and see what happened. I didn't have a plan. I started with the chickens and the colors just kind of chose themselves... dark, light, medium and fabrics with bird and leaf prints. The blocks have lots of red, white and blue so I either have a Valentine or a 4th of July quilt. Chicken's on the Porch quilt?

The blocks are from the Pioneer sampler by Eleanor Burns and I am having a lot of fun putting them together. I've never made any of them before. Only three left to go.

I checked the temperature outside on the way to the gate this morning... 36 ∘
It was 9am. The middle of the country is having terrible weather,
but this is cold enough for me.


(February 1, 2010)
Neat egg videos

[3 eggs today]

~:>
Smiles



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That block is amazing! I am so impressed. Making a quilt by hand is one of those bucket list items for me. Maybe I'll just have to live vicariously through you. :-)

Teresa

diane b said...

I could do with some cold air at the moment it is 9:00pm and is so hot and humid.

Amy said...

I, too, love hand piecing, as well as hand quilting. I have always hand quilted all of my quilts, but have gotten so far behind that recently I taught myself how to do simple machine quilting on my sewing machine. I'm loving it, though still do not really like the "manufactured" look it has. I'll get back to hand work soon, I hope. Love the block in your photo!