Friday, July 16, 2010

Green On Top

Lots of leaves! There are always leaves all year. They are on the trees in the Spring, Summer and Autumn and always on the forest floor.

The oak trees are all leafed out now, so when I look up the forest looks green and bright against the blue, blue sky. The the leaves up there do block a lot of the sun and keep it cooler down here.

The camera didn't capture the deep blue of the sky. Up here there isn't any smog although there were clouds today because there are thunder storms south of Lake Tahoe. We could use a sprinkle or two, but I don't want any lightening starting forest fires.

The thunderstorms can stay away, thank you.

There is a stack of winter fire wood drying out in the sun under the trees. Maybe we won't stack it in the shed this year and just cover it when the rains start. Some year we do that. We use it up first.

Next are some photos of what I see when I look around. Not a whole lot of green. The green is up. It is brown tree trunks and dried out leaves down here. No grass. Only a few green bushes and my green garden near the house.

The good thing about all the leaves is that they provide camouflage for the chickens and even Morgan is hard to spot sometimes. She will look like just another sun spot until she moves.

I hope it gives the fox fits trying to spot the chickens!

There is a white Brahma in the woods. She doesn't stand out as much as I thought she would.

There is a dark chicken in the photo with Morgan. In fact I think the dark chicken is easier to see than the white one.

I couldn't take the eggy background. Those eggs were just too big and, well... eggy. So I switched again. I did find some fuzzy little yellow chicks, but they were too cutsie. Then I found some chicken wire, but that was too plain.

Then I found these leaves that kinda match up with the leaves on the porch. I'll try this background out for a while. I was hoping to find a background with mountains and mountain type trees. There is one, but it has a stream. I guess I could pretend I have a river on the property. There are rivers, but they are at the bottom of the mountain. I'll keep playing with the design tool.

Pineapple Sweet and Sour Chicken for dinner. Not our chickens. I think they would be too tough and stringy to eat what with them tromping through the woods all day.

Kristine comes home tomorrow. She will need the weekend to rest up from the trip. I've kept her fish alive in spite of wanting to feed them more than she said. (I didn't) The plants are watered and still perky.
Morgan is ok but wants her Mom back.

(July 16, 2009)
This works!

[5 eggs today]

~:>
Smiles

10 comments:

P.N. Subramanian said...

There is plenty of forest cover over there. An interesting post indeed. Thanks.

diane b said...

The forest is looking lovely and the animals are having fun in it.

Vicki Lane said...

I like your new background!

JoyceAnn said...

Sometimes I wish we didn't have much grass , although I love my weeds(herbs ~LOL).
Looks like the chickens and Morgan are having fun exploring the forrest.

~ Peaceful Blessings ~

Jen said...

I think you have a beautiful yard, I love all the woods and ya know the chickens love scratching through them leaves all day :) I like this background better too.

Tanya said...

I like your new background! Your scenery is so much like the scenery up in Idyllwild where I often spent weekends. Green on top, dry at the bottom. A wonderful vanilla smell in the air.

Anonymous said...

I love the new background. It is hard to see those chickens in the woods.

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

Just spent a few minutes catching up on your blog. I love genealogy, I would love to get more of my research posted on my blog, too. I love that first photo of the trees, so peaceful.. Hope all is well and you are doing fine.

Gill - That British Woman said...

probably a silly question, but do the chickens just wander around all day and then come home on a night on their own?

Gill in Canada

The Chicken Keepers said...

Cute blog! check out my blog about chickens and other stuff at thechickenkeepers.blogspot.com

From: The Chicken Keepers