Monday, July 19, 2010

At The Slider

This pretty Australorp was outside the slider when I passed by on the way to do some watering in the little green garden.

Kristine named this hen, Dorsal, because of the way her tail sticks up like the dorsal fin on a fish.

Sometimes there is a Buff Orpington that visits us by the slider and pecks on the glass, but today this Australorp was all by herself. And this hen was being quiet. Just waiting...

About an hour later the hen was still there when I came past.

Then she started to follow me around the side of the house.

Ok...

I know what she wants. Treats!

Cold greens are extra nice to have on a hot day.

I went inside and cut a cabbage into fourths.

Then I cut a fourth up into pieces and called, "chick, chick, chick!" several times.

Morgan and the rest of the hens came running.

Morgan gets a treat too!

(July 19, 2009)
The snack chicken still doesn't have eyes,
but there are chocolate bars in the bowl!

[4 eggs today]

~:>
Smiles

12 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

that is so cute having that little hen wait by the door. I did no know that hens ate cabbage?

Gill in Canada

Vicki Lane said...

She has you trained!

JoyceAnn said...

Dorsal is one smart chick , she knows were to hangout to get a refreshing snack , that'a so cute. Morgan looks like he's enjoying his snack too.

~ Peaceful Blessings ~

LindaG said...

I didn't know Morgan liked cabbage, haha.
I presume you gave him dog treats? :)
I need to remember that about cool cabbage and hot chicken days. Thanks for the tip!

Melodie said...

Those chickies are smart,especially when it comes to feeding time! Any time mine see me come up to their gate the whole herd comes running from all corners of their pasture,it is so funny to see!

DayPhoto said...

What a very smart bird!!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Nancy K. said...

Thanks for the reminder! I'm going to go tear up some lettuce for my girls....

Becky's Barnyard said...

Yep, everybody loves treats. She probably knew what she was doing standing there.

Kateri said...

My chickens favorite green is by far kale. I had to cover it with screens in the when it was little this spring or I would have had none left. I've never tried feeding them cabbage. Sounds like they do have you trained. :)

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Oh everyone gets treats.. She does look like a Dorsal...


Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Millie said...

I just love how spoiled those chickies are!

Anonymous said...

That makes me think I should trudge through the mud to see if I have a cabbage I could give my girls as a treat.