Saturday, July 24, 2010


 Lonely, is the only Dark Brahma we have left and she spends much of her time alone since the fox took her buddy (the other Dark Brahma.) She does pal around with, Pasty, a Light Brahma, but most of the time she is off all by herself. Kinda sad. Hope she makes friends with some of the other hens. Everyone needs a friend.

In the photo she is on the porch looking through the slider trying to get my attention because she wants some treats. Earlier I gave the hens some cantaloupe and some corn cobs to peck. She has come back in hopes of a second helping.

She has her beak open in the photo because it is hot and she is trying to cool herself off. Chickens can't sweat so they pant like dogs to lower their temperature.

Usually our chickens hide out under the trees when it is hot and scratch out cool places in the dirt in the shade where they can keep cool. Or if it is really hot they go under the house where it is always fairly cool.

I make sure to put out three sources of water. Very important that chickens have access to water. Some people put out fans or misters to cool down areas for their chickens to use. We just let our chickens free range during the day. The coop is under trees and is a comfortable temperature for them by evening.

I did get all the kick boards nailed on today. Tomorrow I have some caulking to do and a second coat of paint to put on in a few areas.

Note: My daughter, Testing The Waters, has a new post about an experience she had at the Blind Convention. Spoiler... she got felt up. I thought it was funny!

(July 24, 2009)
That British Woman has asked if she could use my
Peek at the Past idea and I said yes!
If anyone else would like to use the idea feel free.

[4 eggs today]

~:>
Smiles

7 comments:

diane b said...

Poor chook has lost her mate to naughty fox. A Fox is going to visit me next week. I loved your daughter's story.

Nancy K. said...

I love how your chickens watch you through your sliding glass door. Perhaps they are just a tiny bit spoiled? ;-)

lisa said...

Lookin good on the counter. I just got some silky chickens a couple of weeks ago. I will have to post them and my jersey giants are growing fast!

Knatolee said...

Hope Lonely finds a friend soon! Our Chicky (named by a five-year-old) is a loner too. It'll be interesting to see what happens when we introduce the new chicks to the flock (once they're big enough.)

Your daughter's story is hilarious!

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

The counter looks great!
Out of all the animals here at Come By Chance, the chickens are the most interesting. I love how they group up into little cliques. Its really neat to watch but also sad when there is just a pair, and then one is lost.
Hopefully she will find a replacement friend soon.
-Leigh

LindaG said...

Your counter looks great!
Hope you have a good week! :)

Vicki Lane said...

This heat is hard on all of us!