Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Molting/Moulting?

This poor little buff brahma looks like she has been plucked in the front. She has either been plucking out her feathers because she is going broody or *gasp* the dreaded molting has begun.

For some weird reason I have always spelled moulting the British way with the u, but anyway I'm talking about the time the chicken's feathers fall out. It's hot so this is a very good time of the year for a chicken to shed their feathers. It must be hot under all that fluff.

Here is a good explanation of the molting process. There are some very good photos in the article. I think I have this site on the sidebar somewhere.

Keyhole Garden: I thought this was a very neat way to build a garden. I do need some rocks if I am going to try this out. I could always convert the rock pile I have from a wanna be water feature to this really neat garden. Maybe this winter when it is cooler to work moving rocks around?

Cabinet Update: I searched around and found boards that were almost a good fit, but were too wide and finally found these two boards that I will work with and make do the job. They aren't really wide enough, but I will jury rig something together and make the whole thing work.

Years ago I watched some carpenters at work and thought I could never do that until one day I watched them fix their oops'es. Ok... I can do that. My building skills mostly deal with finding ways to get things to hang together and look like that's the way they are supposed to be when everything is finished and painted. There are so many secrets hidden under the paint and spackle.

It will be very nice to have cabinet doors again. I think? I have gotten used to not having doors to open and shut and to try and make stay shut. Maybe I won't be so glad to have them back after all. Well, it will look better with cabinet doors.

I made soft tacos with organic hand pressed corn tortillas. Mmmm. Good eating on a hot day. I put in lots of tomato, onion and lettuce with the meat and sauce. No cheese... that was my concession to the hot weather. How funny. Too hot for cheese?

(July 13, 2009)

[6 eggs today]

~:>
Smiles

9 comments:

Shmoopywood said...

I feel like my chickens have been molting non-stop since April of this year. They all look bald and broken :( I even changed roosters and they had a period with no roo so thats not it... the new chickens (they were hatched in February) are all fluffy and beautiful but my 18 month old girls are plucked silly.

diane b said...

Yum sounds a nice lunch. How did your garden beds go? I don't remember seeing them finished, maybe I missed some posts.

Leigh said...

Very interesting video. I love it that they are equipping the people with knowledge and skills, rather than making them dependent on handouts.

Moulting! I hadn't even begun to think about that! I'm just happy to be finally getting my first eggs.

Little Messy Missy said...

Molting, my hens always look so bad when that time comes around!!! Boy you have been one busy lady!!
xoxoxoxo

LindaG said...

Can't have the cheese melting before you get to eat it! ;)
I think sometimes cheese is just heavy in hot weather. I probably would have left the onion out, too, but the tacos sound really good. :)

Millie said...

Thanks so much for stopping by to see me. This is my first visit here, and I will be back. Our geese just finished molting their larger wing feathers. They don't lose their downy feathers until later in the summer/fall.

Diary From Africa said...

I never knew that chickens also moulted like 'furry' animals do, but it makes sense now on reading what you wrote, that they would, too ....

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Poor little chicken.. It is better to loose your feather in the Summer..
You don't have to worry about certain four legged animals getting in your cabinets? Callie would have a hay day...
mmm tacos..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Mike said...

keyhole gardening looks pretty cool. Might have to try that some day. nice on the eyes too