Thursday, July 29, 2010

Jail Birds - Chickens Are Locked Up

Ahhh... poor Morgan. Well, she seems to be better today. What I mean by that is there is no bleeding and she kept her t-shirt on last night and all day today so there was no licking.

I used duct tape to tape the neck opening snugly around her tail. Love duct tape. And I used some quilting scraps to make an extension from her collar to the hem of the t-shirt and attached that with large safety pins.

Morgan is out of the t-shirt now and after a bit more neosporin she is laying quietly on her bed. She has orders to "leave it" which means no licking. Hopefully, all will be well in the morning and she can go outside and the chickens can get out of jail.

The chickens were not happy being locked up in their pen and made a lot of noise to get my attention. They calmed down and did some sun bathing while waiting for me to come let them out. But that didn't happen.

I did throw some scratch in the pen to keep them busy, and I cut up a quarter of a cabbage and some cantaloupe for treats.

I feel so guilty keeping them locked up, but it's for their own good. I don't want the fox to have chicken dinner. Kristine counted the chickens tonight and there are still 16.

Since I was thinking a lot today about my chickens being locked up I started thinking about a bunch of chickens that get to roam free through a part of town. Click here to see a photo of chickens strolling across the street in downtown Fair Oaks, California. There is an article about the town and the chickens.

If you are going to be in the area, the Fair Oaks Chicken Festival will be held in September. Click here for the website. I've never been to the festival, but it sounds like fun.

Yep, I changed my blog design again. I thought the other one was too busy and hard to read. I'll try this one out for awhile and see how it wears.

Peek at the Past
(July 29, 2009

[6 eggs today]

~:>
Smiles

10 comments:

Jen said...

Thats funny about chickens roaming your town. It really stinks you have to worry about foxes getting your chickens :(

Melodie said...

Glad to hear Morgan is on the mend! I like the new chicken wire back round!

amothersheartinwords said...

Callie! You have a lovely blog, I love the real feel of life you lend to your posts. Your dog is adorable, and I am looking forward to following your blog and getting to know all of you.

I once lived in N Cal (Redding) and loved it dearly for two years. Now in NC I love it dearly too, except for the 98* days with 98% humidity.

Take good care,

Sheila

http://farmhousewife.blogspot.com

Lorilee said...

Poor Morgan. I hope she gets better soon. We have guineas that roam free in our downtown residential area!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Chicken Boys said...

Poor Morgan. Poor chickens. Everyone just wants to run around. I noticed on your last post you said you cut feathers from around Morgan's tail. Too funny!
~Randy

Diane Perry said...

Oh what a cute post, I do hope that Morgan soon gets out of that t-shirt even though she looks so cute in it! I loved the links to the chicken fair, wish I could pop over for the day! The picture of those crossing the road was wonderful.
Best wishes
Di
x

LindaG said...

Have a great weekend! :)

Marie Anne said...

I love my chickens, but I can't image a town being overrun with them like that - yikes!

Cute story and pic, though.

John Going Gently said...

that t shirtis SUCH a good idea to stop licking...I will steal that idea!!!
xx

The Chicken Keepers said...

I like the new look to your blog! If it keeps your chickens safe... I agree that you should lock um up. You don't want any fox having a chicken dinner! Still loving the blog. (: (:

Many Blessings,
The Chicken Keepers