Saturday, March 26, 2011

Snowy Weather Makes Me Hungry

This is my fast way of making a phony poached egg. I put just enough butter in the skillet to keep the eggs from sticking, then drop them in the heated skillet, let the whites set, and then I put in a small amount of hot water from the kettle and put the lid on until the steam cooks the top of the eggs.

The specks are pepper and basil and the eggs taste like they were poached. It's a bit of a cheat, but it is fast.


I don't know what it is about being stuck in the house on snowy days, but I want to cook and eat.

So, I gave in and since I had buttermilk to use up I made buttermilk pancakes. Very good.




Then I got the pot roast ready and cooking on the wood stove. This is very easy cooking and food really does taste better cooked on the wood stove than on gas. Go figure.

Someone should get a grant and do a study.



I have been reading news or trying to find reliable news about Japan's earthquake.

I have found several blogs written by
people who live in Japan
besides my long time favorite...
Tanya's Blog ~ Taniwa.

She was in a cave when the
earthquake hit... imagine.

And I'm going to put a link to another blog Life In Japan because he has written about his experiences everyday since the earthquake and I found it very interesting to read Tanya's and this blog and learn first hand how the people in Japan are dealing with the aftermath of the earthquake through their eyes instead of the sensationalized media accounts.

I guess it is time to go stoke up the fire if I want any dinner tonight.

5 comments:

Knatolee said...

I will check out the blog links! THe pancakes look great and now I'm craving some. :)

LindaG said...

I really wish news sources would get away from sensationalization and get back to facts.

Thanks for the links!

I will have to make do with gas, unfortunately, but your roast looks great. :)

Becky's Barnyard said...

That looks wonderful. It was eighty-six degrees here yesterday and then today the high was fifty-eight. I have felt cold today but I am thankful it is not as cold as you are having.

Sam said...

I am wondering how the food situation & everything else is going on in Japan. Has the cost of everything risen do you know?

Tanya said...

Thanks for the mention. Things are calming down around here these days. Hope it will soon for the people in the evacuee centers up north.