Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Steps To Making My Soil Sifter
by Callie on Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Today I made a beginning toward making my soil sifter. First I had to remove the piece of wire mesh from the side of the chicken pen. Then I had to cut the wire mesh to fit. This all sounds very simple, but took a very long time.
It seemed to take forever to get the wire mesh off of the side of the pen and cut and replace it with small chicken wire. It took even longer to cut the wire mesh to size because the cutters would barely fit in the holes.
I finally got it cut to size and found some 2 x 2 that I will use to attach the wire mesh to the old window frame. I'm using the window frame instead of building a frame. I like to reuse things and besides it is easier and keeps it out of the landfill.
I sifted some more wood ash for the chickens dust bin. I also sifted some more dirt and mixed that with the wood ash.
The wound on the side of the Buff Orpington is healing rapidly, but the wound on her leg still has a hole in the middle. The hen is eating and drinking and even laid an egg. So we have hopes she will heal and recover.
The sprouts are still sprouting slowly. Rather pathetic.
(March 23, 2009)
[6 eggs today]