Saturday, March 27, 2010

Bleh! I Need A Spring Tonic


I have a case of the blahs. Very strange considering I would have expected this to happen during the Winter when we had snow and bad weather.

Morgan has the blahs too!

Spring is supposed to bring along lots of energy and springy type thinking. Well, maybe I'm suffering from a lack of vitamins but I really don't want to do anything.

I remember reading about Spring tonics. I did some searches and found that the tonics were given to affect changes in the blood during the year. The effect of the tonic was to purify or cut the blood and make the person feel better after winter inactivity.

I was surprised to find that some of the tonics had toxic elements to them.

This is an interesting post about Appalachian tonics. Liver cancer could be the result of indiscriminate use of sassafras tea that the Cherokee used as a tonic. The Cherokee knew what they were doing and had a time limit.

The Cherokee Kanuchi sounds like a great Spring soup.

This eHow Spring Tonic article has some pointers. That's what I need... something to invigorate my flagging energy.

I think I will try using molasses to sweeten my coffee for a week or two and see if that will boost my energy level. Wiki has many reference pages at the bottom of this page.

Yawn... I'm going to go search for the molasses bottle. I know there is one in the fridge.

Kristine says I should stop worrying about the chicken. But the wounds are still open.

(March 27, 2009)

[6 eggs today]

~:>
Smiles

13 comments:

dirtyduck said...

i love the info on the Cherokee soup. i have been looking for a recipe or at least some info on using nuts in soups, because i know that they used to do that. also i have read that seeds could go in the pot also:) both sound good to me. sorry about the blahs, you were a trooper all through winter give yourself a couple days ok?

diane b said...

We had the blahs too for a couple of days. Some people suffer from change of season. It has a special name which I can't remember. Try looking it up maybe that is all it is.

Gail said...

Sassafrass tea...one of my favorites and have had it each spring all my life. I have no bad side effects.

Wonderful information and recipes.

Toni aka irishlas said...

The first few days of Spring tend to make me tired rather than energized. I don't know why, but, I've always been that way. Maybe it's my body trying to acclimate to more light and warmer temperatures. Or maybe it's because we're out and doing labor intensive jobs that we don't normally do. But, it's more than likely that my brain still thinks I'm in my 20's instead of my 50's :-)

RoeH said...

Ehhhhh.....happens to the best of us. I even wish for some ..speed or something in some form. Preferably legal. :)

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Great info!! I grew up in the south and heard about spring remedies all my life! I think the molasses is worth a try too, let us know how it goes, I may have to get some to try!

Texan said...

Its been a longer than normal winter here and a much harder than normal winter as well...

I think its wore a bunch of us down some...

I bet you kick back in gear :O)... sit outside when you get a chance and soak up some Vitamin D ... enjoy a good book and a cup of tea with your molasses :O)...

Vicki Lane said...

Glad you found the Cherokee website -- I think it's terrific!

Around here people look for early green stuff for a tonic -- I'm going after the chickweed that is flourishing in my flowerbeds -- it's yummy in salad or chopped up in potato soup.

Hope you and the Buff O. are doing better coon!

(My word verification is buffa - a sign?)

Tanya said...

Hope your molasses works. I have some in my refrigerator too. I should try that...

I wish that mean old fox would go away. Glad to know that your Buff Orpington is healing!

Morgan looks beautiful. I need to give Choco a bath. She's never been to the groomers! (nothing to groom.)

flowerweaver said...

I have been having the blahs, too. Maybe I need a spring tonic, great idea!

Little Messy Missy said...

Molasses in coffee..I wonder if it will taste good. I love molasses and ginger. Sorry about the chicken I hope she gets better.

Becky's Barnyard said...

I see I have missed a lot the last couple of weeks. It is really a relief when you realize you still have all your chickens. Hope you get pepped up soon.

Teresa Loop said...

Hi Callie1
Thanks so much for commenting on my blog, I've been feeling like no one reads it anymore... =)

I'm loving your blog, and it looks like you are close to me, I'm on a hilltop too!