Thursday, February 25, 2010

Chicken Vocalization

I woke up to the sound of chickens outside my bedroom window making loud chicken noises. It was as if the hens knew I was behind that window and they wanted me to come out and give them some treats. Now!

When I went out, these are the first of the hens that came running.

It would be nice to think the chickens like me, but I know better.

I am the bringer and giver of good things to eat.

Do the chicken calls have different meanings?



I wish I did understand what the chickens were saying. The hens were telling me something in chicken. I find myself repeating back the same sounds as best I can. Something like, tuhuck, tuhuck, tuhuck.

I would also like to find a site with the other 20+ calls and videos of the behaviors. I sent an email to the research group and asked for more information about the additional 20+ calls. I wonder if I will get a return email?

(February 25, 2009)

[5 eggs today]
Clean!
The wood ash foot cleaner is working!
I use hot water to wash the eggs now.

~:>
Smiles

11 comments:

diane b said...

I can just picture you having a conversation with the girls.

The Silver Age Sara said...

Interesting to think about the different vocalizations and I hope they answer you so we can find out more.

Kentucky Farm Girl said...

Good morning! I love that link to chicken translations!! I just got several new hens and am getting a lot of eggs right now.

I wanted to stop by and let you know I'm having a big Spring giveaway over on my blog. Hope you stop by and check it out.

Toni aka irishlas said...

I've often wondered if chickens had a language and a book that I recently bought - Barnyard in your Backyard had a section on the 20+ sounds that chickens make.
The link to hear some of the sounds is great Callie. Thanks for posting it.
Have a great weekend!

Jen said...

I love listening to them talk... This morning I got woke up at 5:30 by our 1st chick hatching! I got out of bed just in time to see it pop out. I wish I had some wood ash for my chickies... sometimes they give me some pretty dirty eggs, lol

Foothills Poultry said...

If you spend enough time with the birds you will soon understand what they are saying. At least I do now, but then I am a bit crazy. The Chickens keep me sane or insane. I haven't decided which yet. I am sure the birds will let me know which. LOL

~~Matt~~

Becky's Barnyard said...

I wonder if they are tattling on each other; most of my hens get along with each other.

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

So did you ever figure out what all the commotion was about? A fox maybe?
Mom is checking out the egg recipes. She thought the fritata (she can't spell) recipe looked pretty yummy.. She has one of those funny pans so perhaps she will have to give it a try...
Thanks again....

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

DayPhoto said...

Roo, the bad boy who had to go, had a whistle that was almost a song. It didn't seem to be a warning for the girls never hid, I have looked for that sound, but can't find it.

It was beautiful.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Kateri said...

That made me smile. My chickens come running when they see me because they know I am going to feed them. They run the other way when they see my husband, because he is always chasing they off the porch and they know he is not going to give them any food!

Lee said...

We've had a son and friend from Alexandria, VA visiting and I missed reading your blog. So interesting about the sounds of hens. It fascinates me. Hope you find research.