Thursday, April 01, 2010

Snow On April 1st


April Fools! Just kidding... well, kinda... it is supposed to rain later today through Sunday with snow on Saturday.

I found a page here about California's contrasting weather patterns that range from the Death Valley desert to the Shasta Cascade alpine climate.

Sometimes it seems like a desert here in the Gold Country during part of the very hot summer, but that will change in the winter at times when we have more snow and rain. Rain is a mixed blessing because more growth in the forest means a higher fire danger in the summer. But the state needs the rain for irrigation and drinking water so I am always happy to see rain and snow in the forecast..

I was surprised to find some blossoms on the cherry tree, but with more rain and snow coming I don't expect to see any fruit set.

The sun was out and dried up some of the leaves in the driveway. I raked them, bagged them, and dumped the leaves in the muddy chicken pen.

There is a white feed bag behind Morgan. The bag makes it look like she has a bump on her back. With all the space available I have to wonder why she ran through the leaves I raked.

The chickens were very happy to have a layer of leaves to scratch through. I was happy they were off the mud! More rain and snow will turn the leaves slippery and wet, but at least not muddy. I filled up their wood ash entrance box again. (wood ash to dry muddy feet) The hens had filled the box up with bedding.


I made Kristine steak for dinner and I ate a small piece. Tom had meat loaf. There were carrots, broccoli and artichokes for the veggie part of the meal. For starch there was bread. When I was a kid dinner always included bread in some form. French bread, sliced white bread or biscuits were common at the table. I have taken to usually only cooking a meat and veggies for dinner. (and not having any bread)

(April 1, 2009)

[9 muddy eggs today]


I don't know if any coop is bear proof if the bear has time to spend breaking and entering. I would have put washers on the outside behind the head of the bolt so a bear didn't pull the head through the wood. I would think a grizzly or big black bear might eventually split or work a board loose. Bears dig. I wonder what he did to keep the bears from digging into the coop? And I wonder how he secured the door.

My coop wouldn't keep out a determined bear but thankfully most bears are out for an easy meal and won't work too hard and will move off to find easier pickings. I need to put a dead bolt on the white steel door. The door frame has moved and the door barely latches.

~:>
Smiles


7 comments:

diane b said...

Those girls keep you busy.Thanks for the weather explanation.
Talking of bears take a look at Bill's Ponderings blog.He would love a comment o two.

http://billsponderings-wilbo43.blogspot.com/2010/04/switzerlands-bern-bear-park-has-new.html

Toni aka irishlas said...

Your chickens look quite happy. Are they using the ladder roost you made for them?

Starches are hit and miss around here for dinner. Usually it just meat and veg with an occasional starch, whether it be bread, rice, egg noodles, or taters..
Have a great weekend!

JoyceAnn said...

We have seen snow as late as April 8th here , but it has been many years ago.
There's something about raking leaves that makes cats , dogs and children want to run through them. I was raking one day last week while the Grands were playing , Little Missy kept running through them and spreading them back out , so I gave up (LOL).
Hopefully the bears are to lazy , I don't think mine is bear proof either.

~ Spring Blessings ~

Little Messy Missy said...

Great now I want a steak...lol.

dirtyduck said...

your dog is playing in the leaves I LOVE IT!! how cute!!!i guess leaves in a pile are universal fun!

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Snow OMD that sounds pretty cool. Morgan you are right the chickens don't care if they have dirty feet any more than we do...
Not sure what we would do about a bear either...

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

dirtyduck said...

lol i still cant believe your dog was playing in the leaves, had to come back and see:)